Sunday, December 5, 2010

Santa Baby


I've been talking about Breakfast with Santa since my first date with Alex - or so he'll tell you. That and pony rides and skipping meadows (all things I wanted to do as a child and only some were fulfilled...I'm still waiting for my skip, Mom).

I did Breakfast with Santa when I was young. It was in downtown Springfield, at Steiger's or something. I remember it being a dressier affair. Maybe times have changed?


Breakfast with Santa in Holliston is put on by the Lion's Club. Fortunate for us, we have a fellow Lion (Hank) across the street with the 411. I should preface this tale with Sadie's building excitement that started yesterday. Trying to get her to go to bed was near impossible. She just chattered about Santa and pancakes. Finally I gave her a stocking to sleep with, telling her it was Santa's sock and we couldn't see him until the sun came up.


Anyway, we went to Placentino (the grammar school in town). Music was blaring. Kids were everywhere. Pancakes were flowing. We met up with the Bakers, who took Emma and new addition Christopher. "Mayor" Sadie danced with Emma and posed with Jean (Hank's wife) who brought her own grandkids.


There's a stark constrast between the kids who are excited to see Santa and the kids who actually get face-to-face. It goes from wonder to horror in an instant. Tiny children clutching to their parents, screaming. No lie, there was a small puddle of pee at Santa's feet. Sadie did well though. She shot us a look of warning when we dropped her in his lap and stepped away. The body language says it all - "Keep your distance Old Man".

No comments:

Post a Comment