Sunday, May 6, 2012
The Sunshine State
Alex and Sadie met up with me on the tail end of a work event in Marco Island - a beautiful spot just south of Naples, Florida. Not only was I able to use my United points for their flights but the very expensive resort was discounted to our staff rate from the event. Talk about a bargain, how could we pass it up? Finally, my non-stop travel was paying off!
Sadie had been gearing up for weeks, deadset on seeing a shark while we were there. Alex and I actually saw dolphins a few times off the coast. Sadie didn't see them, but claimed to have seen a whale's tail to keep up with the joneses.
The duo rolled in on Tuesday afternoon, and hit up the pool immediately, while I still had work stuff going on. Then we had Wednesday, Thursday and Friday devoted to family time.
We were on island time. The big decision was beach or pool. And if in the pool - which one. All day long we bopped back and forth. By the end of day one I was completely sunburned (oops for falling asleep on the beach and not reapplying sunscreen). My boss Deb stayed for a few days too, so we camped under a rented chickee hut on the beach. I always thought those were lame, I mean what's the point of staying in the shade - but it was a life saver for two days.
Sadie napped in the hammock. Collected seashells - some of the most beautiful I've ever seen. Shared virgin pina coladas. The highlight of the trip was the waterslide at the kids pool. Sadie was just at the "tall enough" line and marched her way up the stairs. From that point on it was non-stop. And she was the tiniest one by a good foot to go for it.
She was so proud to be tall enough, she'd show anyone who'd pay attention. And she was quite the saleslady - trying to convince the other kids how cool the slide was. She's so much like Alex in that way. I like to mind my own business when it comes to strangers. Those two will strike up a conversation with a cardboard box.
Evenings were amazing. A warm breeze, nice dinner and a walk on the beach. Two nights in a row there was a corporate function below our room with live music. Sadie loved to have pajama dance parties on the patio before we all cuddled in the king sized bed and drifted off to sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment