{Sadie on the deck of our room, overlooking the Pacific, eating peanut butter cups at sunset}
Sadie, Alex and I had been California Dreamin' for two full years. I had been to the Terranea Resort a couple of times for work, and in 2012 while there, I made the vow to next time take Sadie with me so that we could suck up some sun and visit Disney. In '12 I was pregnant with Leo at the time, and I knew that he'd be too young to enjoy or appreciate the trip - so it was always the plan to just be a solo for my girl.
So while the trip was a grand vacation (for some), I had to work. We arrived on Friday morning to LAX and took the 40 minute drive to Palos Verdes, which would be our home until Wednesday. Each day, as I worked, Alex and Sadie made plenty of use of the hotel pool, waterslide, hot tub and took numerous walks on the cliff rocks on the edge of the ocean. This little piece of Cali, just north of Long Beach, isn't known for lush beaches. It's a rocky, high coast line that is still equally as beautiful.
{enjoying the sunset over the ocean, post dinner - a luxury we rarely get to see living on the east coast}
Perhaps the best part of the trip was the fact that our Sadie learned how to swim. We traveled with a floatie, which she used on day 1...but she quickly gained the confidence she'd been lacking. This is a girl who would not get her face wet in the shower, mind you. But in a matter of hours she was fully immersed in water and was able to swim in a 5' depth without help. She still needs some practice and strength, but she could certainly maintain.
On Wednesday we packed our bags and took a ride to Anaheim for our final adventure. We stayed nice and close to Disneyland, so that on Thursday morning we could hop out of bed and get there for the gate opening at 9am.
I was admittedly nervous about going - I was tired after working 5 days on my feet. I was 33 weeks pregnant and Sadie would be required to do all of her own walking. It was a sunny day and the sun felt extra hot. There were a lot of people in the park, but the lines went pretty fast. The longest we waited - which Sadie begged for - was to meet Tinker Bell and the blue fairy in Pixie Hollow. We were there for about an hour until we could step in for a 2 minute photo op.
Sadie met Minnie and Goofy too. We made it to a ton of rides and sites - her favorite being Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain roller coasters. I begged her to go to the Haunted Mansion with me. She was reluctant but made it through. We feasted on Dole whips and grilled cheese. Hit up the same parade twice, just so she could see Anna and Elsa from Frozen.
She was allowed to buy one thing at the park - which turned out to be her Minnie ears, bedazzled in white and pink sequins and a long veil.
In the end, we made it, no sweat. Eleven hours total in the park without any complaints. The sun was down, our feet were tired and dirty, plus we had to pack up to leave for Massachusetts the following morning.
Now that the trip was over, we could focus on our other big doings...First, my main man made it finally to the toddler room at school. He naps on a mat (no crib!), eats lunch at a table with the kids (no high chair!), and gets this adorable hook for his lunch with the sweetest face adorning it.
Our girl officially started kindergarten too. She takes the bus from home in the morning, and goes to HCCC to meet up with Leo two days a week. So far so good, she loves it and is excited to hop out of bed every morning.
Next weekend she'll be starting soccer, and she's signed up to be a Daisy Scout too. Don't worry, she'll come knocking on your door this spring when it's Girl Scout Cookie time.
No comments:
Post a Comment