We are never short of activities over here. That much is true. So with a three day weekend ahead of us, there was certainly a lot to accomplish. Let's start with Saturday - probably the last summer-like day we'll see for a long time. With temps in the mid-70's we headed for the beach for a walk, with the pup in tow now that she's allowed off-season. Sadie claimed that the water was nice, but from the yelps of others around us - I didn't believe her. That didn't deter her from getting knee deep and butt wet to make mud pies with the sand.
Sunday's forecast called for rain but on our way home we headed to the Cranberry Harvest Festival in Wareham. Pretty good fall-time fun, with pony rides (though I was schooled by Sadie that these were horses, not ponies), balloon animals and classic fair food - like cider donuts, burgers and fries. Sadie got to try working the cranberry line, picking out the yellow/squishy, therefore unfavorable, berries. A ripe candidate for quality child labor. We rolled out of there just as the downpour began - perfect timing.
As for Monday, we went to the Holliston Senior Class fundraiser at the school. It's the largest tag sale you've ever seen in your life. I haven't been in 4 years - just before I had Sadie and I was on a hunt for bookshelves (and found some awesome ones for $3 each). This time I didn't have a particular mission but we ended up with a bag full of books, several new movies (Chipmunks Christmas, Barbie Nutcracker, Charlie Brown Christmas - essentials, as you can see), plus a pair of ice skates that Sadie will grow into in a few years.
Did our fun stop there? Nope. Next to some apple picking. We're lucky to have an orchard about 2 miles from our house. I think I heard that picking season happened earlier in Septemember - something to do with the weather (lack of rain, warm winter...I forget the reason). The trees were picked clean but we were able to find $20 worth of Pink Lady, Honey Crisp, Granny Smith and Fuji apples. I'll be making some apple crisp with vanilla ice cream tonight, of course with my sous chef Sadie. I can't wait.
No comments:
Post a Comment