Saint Patrick's Day Weekend is a huge deal in Western Mass - namely Holyoke. The Saturday after the official holiday marks the annual St. Patrick's Day Road Race, followed by a Sunday parade (once boasted as the 2nd largest in the nation). The race is a 10k that takes you from the heart of downtown, up the hills of Holyoke Community College and cruising past the Soldier's Home where Grandfather lives. The start and end of the race are on the grounds of where I went to high school - Holyoke Catholic.
Although the school is no longer there (relocated to Chicopee), the sad, boarded up buildings and still-functional church serve as memories of the past. It's nice to think at least one time a year, an area that used to be so alive with kids, books, rining bells and silly gossip - brings together the masses to feel alive again.
I used to run the race every year. I was actually on the race committee in high school - but when college came, I was either too busy or too cool to participate. Then life took over. This year, however, my good childhood friend Melissa asked if I'd lace up with her. Why not?

This was Sadie's first race experience in Holyoke. More runners than ever registered - 5,500. I made the 10k in 54 minutes and have five blisters to show for it (I know better than to wear new sneakers...). Turning the corner that leads to the last 500 yards of the race, the crowds are so massive that it's hard to distinguish between runner and spectator. I tried hard to find Sadie in the crowd, and at the end I did. And she spotted me too.
No comments:
Post a Comment